Head of Community Development (interim)
01452 393 605
Active For Life Ambassadors
Active for Life Ambassadors are a fantastic workforce of well-connected and passionate over 50 year old volunteers who want to dedicate their time to help older people become more active.
The Active for Life Ambassadors project aims to:
- Increase the physical activity levels of older adults across Gloucestershire
- Identify and upskill older adults to act as peer activators, leaders and coaches
- Improve the mental wellbeing and community connections of those involved with the programme
- Enhance the delivery of current provision and support sustainable development for new physical activity
- Create meaningful links and exit routes into local activities and events for older adults
The 12 month project aims to recruit, train and deploy 300 volunteers across Gloucestershire, to actively engage 3000 participants in physical activity. Each volunteer should be encouraged to commit some of their time every week to the project and then then the recruitment of volunteers can be an ongoing process throughout the year. All volunteers and participants must be over 50 years old, however where appropriate, younger volunteers may be considered as part of an intergenerational approach to boosting physical activity levels amongst older people.
Active Gloucestershire is looking to work with organisations across the county to ‘host’ the co-ordination and management of the Active for Life Ambassadors project within their local area. All volunteers will be given the opportunity to access a training workshop from Active Gloucestershire if required and appropriate. They will also be provided with a timetable of the types of funded training available to them and when these courses can be accessed throughout the year.
What can the Ambassadors get involved in?
- Act as a buddy for an individual who is socially isolated and encourage them to begin a physical activity session in their local area
- Start a small, informal walking group
- Train as a walking football coach to support a local team
- Assist at a local community zumba class
- Train as a breeze cycle leader to set up a new women’s cycling club
- Identify a gap in local physical activity provision and work with Active Gloucestershire to establish a new group.
This list is not exhaustive and if you are interested in being a host organisation, please see the resources on this page for further information and an application form, or contact Sarah